In addition to a J.D., Stephen Jantzen earned an LL.M. in Environmental Law from The George Washington University in Washington, D.C. He is a former Assistant Attorney General for the State of Oklahoma, having practiced in the Environmental Protection Unit of the Oklahoma Attorney General’s office, where he represented and advised state agencies and engaged in litigation enforcing Oklahoma's environmental statutes. His practice involves projects and litigation around the United States, and he has represented clients in litigation or regulatory matters relating to sites in Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arkansas, Kansas, Texas, Washington, and Arizona. He has also practiced before numerous regulatory agencies, including the United States Environmental Protection Agency, the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission, and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, as well as various state environmental agencies.
Projects on which he has worked have involved:
- Radioactivity, including NORM
- Decommissioning of nuclear facilities, refineries, gas plants, oil and gas exploration and production
- Water discharge and waste permitting
- Pipeline breaks
- Pipeline and crude oil storage land transactions
- Municipal separate storm sewer systems (MS4s)
- Industrial discharges and pretreatment standards
- Lagoon closures
- Stormwater permitting and compliance
- Linear construction
- Real estate transactions
- Uranium, sand, and gypsum mining activities
- Hazardous substance sites
- Groundwater permitting
- Concentrated animal feeding operations
- Landfill operations
He has advised clients on multiple Superfund sites around the region (including the Coastal Radiation Services Superfund Site, the Brine Service Company Superfund Site, the Double Eagle Refinery Superfund Site, and the Hudson Refinery Superfund Site). He has also advised multiple clients on sites contaminated by polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and chlorides. He has been recognized as an Oklahoma Super Lawyer for 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012.
- B.A. in Economics, Westminster College in Fulton, Missouri
- J.D., Oklahoma City University School of Law, summa cum laude
- Master of Laws degree (LL.M), Environmental Law, The George Washington University in Washington, D.C.
- Oklahoma Bar Association, Member